Can't sign in to Messenger with your new Yahoo password?
Did you use the "Remember my ID & Password" option on the Yahoo Messenger sign in screen? Here's how to manually update your password in Messenger.
p>Having trouble signing into Messenger with your new password? Don’t worry, this is easily fixed!
Because you chose "Remember my ID & Password" on the Yahoo Messenger sign in screen, it’s still using your prior password.
- Messenger stores your sign in information until you manually go back and change it.
- If you change your Yahoo account password, Messenger will not automatically update it.
Update Yahoo Messenger manually
- On the main Yahoo Messenger sign in screen, clear out your Yahoo ID:
- Select your Yahoo ID in the Yahoo ID box and press Delete.
- Clear out your old password:
- Select your password in the Password box and press Delete.
- Type your Yahoo ID and new password.
- If you wish, you can leave the Remember my ID & password checkbox checked.
- Click Sign In.
Tips to avoid an account lockout
If you have tried to sign in to Yahoo Messenger with your old password, wait a few minutes before going through the sign-in process again with your new password to avoid a lockout situation.
- In order to protect your account, Yahoo sets limits on the number of unsuccessful sign-in attempts allowed in a set period of time.
- If that limit is reached, Yahoo sends a security message to the account owner stating that the account has been locked for security reasons.
- This lockout expires after 24 hours, so, you can wait or you can try to unlock your account.
Still having trouble signing in to Messenger? Learn more troubleshooting steps to fix Yahoo Messenger problems.